Theatre Matters

Contemplations on the dramatic arts from a national perspective

Name:

Steven Oxman has contributed to such publications as the Los Angeles Times, American Theatre, Stagebill, and, most frequently, Variety, for which he has written over 300 television and theatre reviews.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The Cast of Lord of the Rings

Well, I suppose if you can't get actual hobbits, Canadians will do. I hear they tend to be a friendly people.

Playbill.com has the announcement of casting for Toronto's $27 million production of Lord of the Rings. I've discussed it here and here. Did I mention it's costing $27 million to produce?

Director Matthew Warchus certainly sounds committed and enthused, saying all the right things about creativity and casting. I imagine he didn't have to turn anyone away cuz he couldn't afford 'em.