Theatre Matters

Contemplations on the dramatic arts from a national perspective

Name:

Steven Oxman has contributed to such publications as the Los Angeles Times, American Theatre, Stagebill, and, most frequently, Variety, for which he has written over 300 television and theatre reviews.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

The Return of Harold Pinter!

I swear: when I wrote this entry on Harold Pinter's "retirement" from playwriting, I hadn't seen this "clarification:"

“It was not a declaration of policy or intent, it was just a very practical matter. I haven’t written a play for six years, and I think it’s unlikely that I’ll write another one. My writing, such as it is, is going into other things, mainly poetry . . . I’m still a writer, and who knows? But I think I’ve come to the end of my play-writing life. One never knows, but I have written 29 damn plays, long and short, and I think that’s probably about it.”

One never knows. Pinter, after all, is a man known for long pauses.