Theatre Matters

Contemplations on the dramatic arts from a national perspective

Name:

Steven Oxman has contributed to such publications as the Los Angeles Times, American Theatre, Stagebill, and, most frequently, Variety, for which he has written over 300 television and theatre reviews.

Thursday, January 13, 2005

The Sadness

Thanks to George Hunka at Superfluities for drawing my attention to two articles from the U.K. paper The Guardian (and, while I'm at it, thanks to Arts Journal for everything I've linked to from there). They deal with the censorship issues discussed in this previous post of mine, which I called "The Ugliness."

First, there's a passionate statement from Sikh playwright Gurpreet Kaur Bhatti, whose play Bhezti has been cancelled due to threats of violence.

Second, there's an essay about the BBC's airing of Jerry Springer, the Opera.

Maybe I shouldn't be calling this "The Sadness." Maybe it should be "The Anger."