Theatre Matters

Contemplations on the dramatic arts from a national perspective

Name:

Steven Oxman has contributed to such publications as the Los Angeles Times, American Theatre, Stagebill, and, most frequently, Variety, for which he has written over 300 television and theatre reviews.

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Oh My God You're Actually READING This?

I suppose there's a first for every blogger.

I've been away for awhile, in Atlanta and then Los Angeles. Didn't much think about theatre, except for sadly not having a chance to see the Mark Taper's production of "The School for Scandal."

Then I got back, thought about blogging, and a mild sense of dread came over me. What if I have nothing to say? Maybe I should drop it.

Two things have happened since. First, I read John Lahr's profile of Tony Kushner in a recent "New Yorker." A truly wonderful portrait of one of our only significant playwright-intellectuals, the article captures Kushner at his most insecure. If he can do it, then maybe I can find an iota of inspiration in my own doubt that I have much to contribute.

The second event is more of a blogging rite-of-passage. Somebody e-mailed me about the blog! And, unlike the only other e-mails I've received, I hadn't e-mailed him first.

So, thank you, George Hunka of the blog Superfluities (http://www.ghunka.com) Since you're actually reading this, I guess I've got to keep adding to the fucking thing!