Theatre Matters

Contemplations on the dramatic arts from a national perspective

Name:

Steven Oxman has contributed to such publications as the Los Angeles Times, American Theatre, Stagebill, and, most frequently, Variety, for which he has written over 300 television and theatre reviews.

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

The Cat Is Out of the Bag, and Maybe Dead

Strangely enough, I haven't been reading the NY Times while I've been in New York the last few days. Too busy. But several people told me I had to read this article from Monday's paper.

It reports that in the last 2 years, only one commercially produced play in New York has turned a profit. This does not include one-person plays. The lone re-couper was a surprise to me -- Yasmina Reza's "Life X 3," which did not get stellar notices but did star big names (Helen Hunt, John Turturro).

New business model, anyone? Or is non-musical theatre really only feasible as a subsidized form?